Wordpress: Proper Folder Structure
Ultimate folder structure
Folder structure for save-up.at is simple and very nice! So only thing I really like is - one folder up for web…
Move wp-content */
/style (themes) /core (active main theme) /extend (active child theme)
/modules /core (plugins) /requisite (mu-plugins)
My Media Folder Structure
Rename “uploads” to “media” Use plurals for folder names.
/media (maybe assests?; uploads) -/t (from thumbnails;) The complete structure same as on main part, done by plugin Fr Thumbnails Folder w/PHP snippet
-/g/ (from gfx; graphics) /g /g/branding (company logos, etc) / using full folder names for better SEO /g/hero (e.g. header images) / using full folder names for better SEO
/g/udr (undraw vector collection) / using three-letter abbreviations as I don’t want client to know what I’m using /g/odo (opendoodles vector collection) /g/usp (unsplash collection)
“Soft read-only” content as user shouldn’t modify these, just use them. Import just once using Bulk Media Register plugin
Force all new uploads to one subfolder using Custom Upload Dir plugin
Set up that every new upload goes to . My graphics Podešeno da je upload uvek u /i, a tamo ide po želji Može da se menja…
define( ‘UPLOADS’, ‘wp-content/media’ );
Steps to implement:
- Set my custom folder structure with changes in wp-config and one small mu-plugin for themes (which I soon won’t need)
- Fr Thumbnails Folder so I have separate resized images
- Custom Upload Dir so I force where new media will be stored
- HappyFiles to group media files for clients
wp-content(safe to do / alternative to move level below)
plugins: dodaci uploads: otprema, otpremnina Not sure if automatic updates of Wordpress will work?
// define (‘WP_CONTENT_FOLDERNAME’, ‘assets’); // define( ‘WP_PLUGIN_DIR’, $_SERVER[‘DOCUMENT_ROOT’] . ‘/extensions’ );
Translations: wp-content - assets, sastav, sadrzina, sadrzaj, smisao, german: ressourcen
Move wp-content as per Codex. Not sure if it will improve security.
WP_CONTENT_URL and replace
/assets/ in all the tables.
Sources & Articles
wp-config.php file one directory up, outside of the web root directory?
WordPress will look inside the web root directory for the
file as well as within the directory above it. This will help in
minimizing the file being exposed to the Internet.
Great reasons for doing that. 10 wp-config Tweaks To Improve Your WordPress Site
- even rename
wp-admin? Rename worpdress admin folder for Security
Set perfect file permissions
perfect file permissions (see: Codex)
- wp-admin/ (admin area), wp-includes/ (application logic) - writable only by ftp
- wp-content/ (user-supplied content) - writable by user account and web server process
- wp-content/themes/ - as I dont want to use the built-in theme editor, files writable only by your user account
- wp-content/plugins/ - all files should be writable only by your user account. That’s why you set FTP account.
- wp-content/* - may be present with and should be documented by whichever plugin or theme requires them
Move out the media upload folder
There is an plugin to help out: Custom Upload Dir
- Remove unnecessary meta tags WordPress Optimization Guide
Change Locations of WordPress Folders
It’s possible for you to customize your WordPress file and folder structure by giving them different names or locations. You can change wp-content, plugins, and uploads folders.
After making changes, you’re required to update wp-config.php file so that it can define the new locations. You can do so by adding this code to the wp-config.php file:
define( ‘WP_CONTENT_DIR’, dirname(FILE) . ‘/newfolder/wp-content’ ); define( ‘WP_CONTENT_URL’, ‘https://your-site.com/newfolder/wp-content’ );