Plugins: Backup, Copy, Clone, Duplicate, Migrate, Staging, etc
XCloner is only true open-source plugin
Plugin is ugly but functional but it has a problem with weird restore process.
All-in-One WP Migration
This was my go-to plugin as it supports domain replacement out of the box. Problem arises with upload-size limit on destination server, because this plugin doesn’t support any other method of import or restore for free, besides direct upload.
WPvivid was once free, not anymore
WP STAGING should be the best plugin for staging
How to null WP Staging Pro by Festinger’s WordPress Vault
Forget about it, due to privacy - The website transfer or migration process works on our servers, so it doesn’t crash your site. Migrate Guru automatically copies your site to our servers. After the migration is complete, the copy is erased.
Backup Migration was new kid on the block in 2019
Besides having the most intuitive interface and smoothest user experience, Backup Migration plugin will always strive to give you more than any competitor:
- Updraftplus: They charge for migration, with our plugin it’s free;
- All-in-One WP Migration: In the free version, compared to our plugin – they don’t have selective/partial backups; they lack advanced options and each external storage is on a separate extension plugin; they have no automatic backups;
- Duplicator: In the free version, compared to our plugin – they have no selective backups, exclusion rules, no automatic backups and no migration;
- WPvivid: In the free version, compared to our plugin – they don’t have selective/partial backups, exclusion rules, or automatic backups;
- BackWPup: In the free version, compared to our plugin – they lack restore options, backups are slower, automatic backups are dependant on wp cron;
- Backup Guard: In the free version, compared to our plugin – they have no selective backups, exclusion rules; no direct migration;
- XCloner: Automatic backups are dependant on wp cron; full restore not available on a local server;
- Total Upkeep: They lack the advanced selective backups and exclusion rules, lacks a monthly backup schedule
For plugins to search-replace domain URL go and check relevant note
Story on WP Migrate DB
Story goes like this:
One guy forked it but had to change it’s name wp-sync-db/wp-sync-db.
He was forced to rename it from “WP Migrate DB” to “WP Sync DB” after Delicious Brains decided to trademark the name “WP Migrate DB”, filed a DMCA takedown against the repo, and threatened to take me to court. But they should be OK with it now.
Then same author stopped maintaining it as he has moved away from PHP and was looking for a maintainer
hrsetyonoforked it again and continued it as open-source.
This is the one I will use - Use hrsetyono/wp-sync-db plugin as it is really free. It is also a combination of WP-Sync-DB and 2 of its Addons: Media Files and CLI.
That’s all. Use last one.